A theoretical and practical course that enables an understanding of:
- vessel organisation and operations:
- pilot ladders and means of access;
- cargo work; and,
- safety and seamanship, including;
- whipping; and,
The course covers all the essentials involved in deck/seamanship skills and vessel knowledge, helping to promote both safe and efficient working when on board.
To qualify for an EDH certificate, you must:
- be at least 17 years of age; and,
- hold one of the following:
- an RYA Yachtmaster Offshore / IYT Master of Yachts Limited; or
- a Yacht Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate; or
- an NWR Certificate; or
- a Boat Master Licence (BML) Tier 1 level 2 Certificate; or
- a Tug Rating with at least 6 months’ seagoing service and a steering certificate or an NWR Certificate.
NOTE: before an EDH certificate can be issued, a minimum of 6 months seagoing service in vessels of 15 metres or more is required. You must hold a valid EDH certificate for a period of at least 18 months before the issue of an OOW Certificate of Competency.
It is a 4-day course that combines a mix of both theory and hands-on practical learning.