This course is intended to provide seafarers serving as or planned to serve as either safety representatives or safety officers. The training provided on this course is intended to meet the requirements set out in The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations and the Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers (CoSWP)
On completion of the course, candidates will have the knowledge required to act as a Shipboard Safety Officer and an understanding of the following subjects:
- the duties of the shipboard safety officer;
- the legal framework for safety;
- the relationship between the ISM code and safety management onboard vessels;
- overview of the ISM Code;
- considered the cause of accidents;
- the process and limitations of risk assessment;
- considered the accident investigation process;
- the importance of appropriate interviewing technique; and,
- considered factors influencing the effectiveness of safety committee meetings.
Candidates wishing to undertake this course must meet the requirement:
- be at least 18 years of age, and,
- have served at sea for at least 12 months.
This course is a theory course run over 3 days and maybe taken online or in person.