This course forms part of the chief engineer officer qualification for small vessels (less than 9000kW and less than 3,000GT) with an unlimited area limitation. The certification is for new and experienced crew who wish to move into the small vessel environment as engineers.
The course covers:
- materials technology;
- heat treatment;
- knowledge of testing materials;
- knowledge of joining materials;
- FRP (GRP);
- control engineering; and,
- engineering drawing.
This course is intensive, and candidates are strongly advised to undertake a pre-study before starting the course. All candidates must have completed the following before enrolling in this course:
- Approved Engine Courses (AEC I & II);
- Small Vessel Chief Engineer Auxiliary Equipment Part 1;
- Basic Safety Certificates; and,
- Service as required for issue of Training Record Book.
This is usually a 5-day course delivered either in the classroom direct or online.